This seminar is offered through Zoom over two days (Tuesday and Wednesday) between 9am and 12pm EST.
Are you a novice editor, or do you simply want to improve your writing? If yes, the latest offering from Editors Ottawa-Gatineau was designed for you. In this learn-by-doing seminar, Moria White will demonstrate basic techniques for improving text, and the types of errors and difficulties commonly encountered in everyday writing. Even more experienced editors can use this seminar as an opportunity to brush up on their skills before Editors Canada’s copy-editing exam on November 19.
What We’ll Cover
Our experienced instructor will introduce participants to some of the perennial problem topics that copy editors face such as:
- Spelling: determining capitalization and hyphenation; forming compounds; choosing American, British, or Canadian variants
- Grammar: ensuring subject–verb and pronoun–antecedent agreement; avoiding dangling or misplaced modifiers; maintaining parallel structure
- Punctuation: clarifying meaning; dealing with hyphen and dash difficulties; determining whether punctuation goes inside or outside quotation marks
- Word usage: sidestepping commonly misused words; avoiding noun strings; eliminating redundancies
- Mechanics of style: using or creating a style sheet to maintain consistency; dealing with abbreviations, acronyms, and initialisms; knowing when to italicize
Learn the fundamentals of editing and writing on November 1st and 2nd! You’ll finish with new-found confidence in your writing and editing skills.
About the Instructor
Moira Rayner White entered the work world as a social worker and later moved into social policy. In both professions, she found that her organizational skills, attention to detail, and love of words were pointing her in a new direction—the world of editing. Currently a freelance editor, writer, and trainer with both public and private sector clients, she has decades of experience editing print and electronic publications. Moira is a a past president and Honorary Life Member of Editors Canada.
Unfortunately, the seminar scheduled for November 2022 has been cancelled. We hope to be able to offer Copy Editing I to you in 2023.
Looking for more professional development opportunities? See what other seminars are coming up and register today, before it’s too late! Our online seminars are live events and will not be recorded as webinar courses.
Members: $225 + tax
Non-members: $350 + tax
Student members: $150 + tax
Not yet a member? Check out Editors Canada to see if membership is right for you.
If Editors Ottawa-Gatineau cancels a seminar, we will refund your paid registration fee in full.
If you wish to cancel your registration, the following terms apply: You must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to notify us that you are canceling your registration. If you cancel before registration closes (up to one week before the seminar) we will refund 50 percent of your paid registration fee. If you cancel after registration closes (within seven days of the seminar), no refund is possible.
Contact email@example.com for all seminar registration and cancellation enquiries.